- “Strategy artist” with more than 20 years’ experience in marketing leadership roles in the design, software, telecommunications, and entertainment industries in the US, Asia, and Europe
- Founder and CEO of Leberecht & Partners, a consulting firm that helps leaders and organizations with their vision, story, and transformation
- Senior Advisor to A Hundred Years, a global design studio and creative consultancy specialized in social impact and long-term transformation
- Long-time CMO of Frog Design and other leading creative firms
- Experienced in guiding leaders as they build humanist and high-performing brands, cultures, and organizations
- Three-time TED speaker, prolific writer and speaker
- Author of the international bestseller The Business Romantic (HarperCollins); translated into eight languages to date; an “Inc. Top 10 Motivational Book of 2015” and “Forbes Top 10 Creative Leadership Book of 2015”
- Combines in-depth expertise in marketing and design with “business romanticism”— the belief that only meaning-making organizations will thrive in evermore contested attention economies, and that meaning comes not only from purpose but such romantic experiences as mystery, intimacy, and unexpected beauty
- Founder of The Business Romantic Society, a global collective of strategists, artists, developers, designers, and researchers with the shared mission to bring beauty and enchantment to business
- Co-founder and co-curator of the 15 Toasts dinner series
- Served on the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Values 2011-20116; member of the NationSwell Council and the Board of Advisors of Jump Associates, a strategy and innovation consultancy
- Born and raised in Germany and living in Berlin and San Francisco
Tim Leberecht is a German-American author, entrepreneur, and consultant with 20 years’ experience in marketing leadership roles in the design, software, telecommunications, and entertainment industries in the US and Europe. He is the founder and CEO of Leberecht & Partners, a consulting firm that helps leaders and organizations with their vision, story, and culture change, and a Senior Advisor to global design studio and creative consultancy A Hundred Years that is specialized in social impact and long-term transformation. Tim is the author of the international bestseller, The Business Romantic: Give Everything, Quantify Nothing, and Create Something Greater Than Yourself (HarperCollins, 2015), that has been translated into eight languages to date. He is also the founder of The Business Romantic Society, a global collective of strategists, advertisers, curators, artists, developers, designers, researchers, and data scientists with the shared mission to bring beauty and enchantment to business.
Before launching Leberecht & Partners, Tim most recently served as the chief marketing officer of NBBJ, a global design and architecture firm specialized in healthcare and workplace design, with clients from Amazon, Google, Samsung, to Tencent. From 2006 to 2013, he was the chief marketing officer for product design and innovation consultancy Frog Design. Frog became famous for its work with Apple, Disney, GE, and many other Fortune 500 brands, and Tim was instrumental in establishing Frog as one of the most admired creative brands worldwide. In addition to his role at Frog, he also served as chief marketing officer for Frog’s parent, software engineering firm Aricent Group, from 2011 to 2013, where he worked closely with the Board on integrating the two marketing organizations and transforming Aricent into an end-to-end innovation services provider. Previously, he held marketing positions at mind-mapping software firm Mindjet and 3D-Internet firm Echtzeit, and was a consultant for the 2004 Athens Olympic Torch Relay and Deutsche Telekom. He began his career as a singer/songwriter and the owner of an independent music publishing firm.
Tim’s writing on marketing, design, and innovation appears in publications such as Harvard Business Review, Entrepreneur, Fast Company, Forbes, Fortune, Inc, Psychology Today, Washington Post, and Wired. He has spoken at venues including TED, The Economist Big Rethink, DLD, SXSW, Thinking Digital, Next, the Silicon Valley CEO Summit, Commonwealth Club, Carnegie Mellon, Yale University, and the World Economic Forum. He has given talks or run workshops at companies including Accenture, ADP, Airbus, Akbank, Blue State Digital, BBVA, Daimler, DHL, Ford Motors, Huge, IBM, NEC, Nike, Otto Group, Pfizer, Thjnk, UPS, Vitra, Wolff Olins, and Ziba Design. His TED Talks “3 Ways to (Usefully) Lose Control of Your Brand” and most recently “4 Ways to Build a Human Company in the Age of Machines” have been viewed by almost 2.5 million people to date. Tim served on the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Values from 2011-2016, is a member of the NationSwell Council, and serves on the Board of Advisors of Jump Associates, a strategy and innovation consultancy. He is the co-founder and co-curator of the 15 Toasts dinner series.
Tim holds a masters’ degree in applied cultural studies from the University of Luneburg in Germany and a masters’ degree in communication management from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
He lives in Berlin and San Francisco with his wife and daughter.